Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Getting the Groceries Home

I've been working on what I'm going to do when I don't have someone to drive me to go buy groceries. Many people come up with suggestions because they imagine there must be another way to work out getting what I need.

The past week the social worker at In Home Support Services gave me a suggestion.  He told me to pay for my groceries to get delivered. So I called the two stores I shop at up on the phone and asked about how much this would cost.

Guess what Grocery Outlet said, which is over 4 miles away? They won't deliver at all because they are a discount store. They suggested that I shop there and call a cabbie to get my groceries home. So I checked that out and it's about twenty dollars. Plus, the cab driver has to wait while I unload the groceries and might charge me more.

When I moved here, there was a Safeway grocery store around the corner. That store closed, but a brand new Safeway is now the closest store to me. The only problem is that it's over a mile away from where I live - a two and a half mile round trip. I can't walk that far. Someone told me there's a new store (called Paradise) moving into the old place. Too bad it's going to be even more expensive than the price increases at the new Safeway. It's going to take some time before it's open too.

Safeway does have a way to deliver groceries. I will have to buy e-food at Safeway on-line with my credit card.

There are two serious problems with this. First is that I can't use coupons online that save me money as I have been doing when I buy in person. The savings are from $20. to $30. bucks each shopping that I do twice a month.  If I buy everything on-line, I would be spending that extra money without the coupons. Then there is the $15.00 delivery charge on top of that.

There is another problem: I must use my credit card to get groceries delivered.  The credit companies frown on buying food with a credit card. They think it is a bad sign that I do not have enough money. They will lower my credit limit if I buy food online, because they see charging the costs of groceries to be a red flag. They have recently lowered my credit limit even lower, and started charging additional fees.

Then there is how to get my medication from the pharmacy to me. There's a pharmacy at Safeway in another town will deliver my medication but that costs $3. bucks a pop.

I wish I could get my groceries delivered for $3. It's looks as if grocery delivery will cost an extra $75. a month. You must buy at least $50. before they deliver your groceries. Given my credit card limit, how long will it be before I can't buy food because I've maxed my credit limit?

So I see no way of doing this. I just don't have the money to get food delivered.

If I take a bus to all these places, I would have to take multiple trips to get all my shopping done. I will be shopping every day. That will cost more; the bus is a dollar each way; that is an extra sixty dollars a month to shop daily.

Then there is carrying everything upstairs to my apartment, (especially in the rain,) to and from the bus stop. It's not hard to imagine that I would be so tired and in even more back pain than I'm in now. My doctor has now diagnosed me with tendinitis wrist pain.

That's how I got hurt in the first place - by slipping on ice on my deck.

If I accidentally  fall and hurt myself or get sick there is nobody to ask for help. My neighbors can't help me, because they all don't speak English. Besides, they are busy with there own lives. They don't even visit or talk to me anyway, mostly because we don't speak each other's language.

It's the same with my friends who do speak my language. I'm already driving people away thinking about all this stuff.


So I'm stuck. This is why disabled people kill themselves.

If you have any other suggestions, please put them in the comments section. Other people who are reading this blog will also benefit.

No comments: